As you all probably know, we got over 2 feet of snow just before Christmas. Well, today we got another 8" when we were supposed to get 3-6". I had previously planned to drive to DC for a temple trip. I woke up early and felt really good about going. I got ready and drove off with about 1-2" on the ground. I thought that I would be the only one on the road, but I had company all along the way. As I was driving, memories of similar trips came back to me from my high school days.
I remembered driving home from Grantsville after a stake dance. The flakes were huge and reflected my headlights so it was almost easier to see the road without lights. One early morning I picked up Heidi Ferrin to go to a state honors orchestra event in Salt Lake. As I remember, she wasn't ready when I arrived at her house thinking that we wouldn't go due to the amount of snowfall. There weren't many other cars on I-80, but we made it in without issue and enjoyed the day.
Back to the present- The roads weren't yet plowed and it was pretty slushy on parts of 29 just as I left town. In fact, I fishtailed a little bit which was a good wake up to keep me alert the rest of the way. The snow fell consistently all the way to DC. I saw a few plows and lots of other cars and I continued to feel good about my trip. I know that I was being protected because there were several times that wrecks occured just before I arrived to a certain spot in the road and once a car spun out directly in front of me and both I and the car behind me were able to stop without incident.
The trip took a lot longer than usual because the average speed on the beltloop was less than 40 mph. My neck and shoulders were in knots from concentrating while driving, but I enjoyed my time in the temple immensely and am grateful that I was able to go as planned! Of course when I arrived (almost) safely home I took a little time to play in an empty parking lot. It was fun to spin around and let loose after being tense during my very long drive.
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment