Saturday, March 5, 2011

Amanda Barnes Smith

I have been looking for something to decorate my office that speaks to my heritage. For a while I looked for a handcart scene. Not the ones with death or tragedy, but one depicting a great summer day with the family working together.

During Christmas I was in Salt Lake City and thought where better to look than the flagship Deseret Book store. While there I saw lots of good art, but nothing that I was wanting... that is until I walked by one that reminded me of my ancestor, Amanda Barnes Smith. She is my 4th great grandmother and is sort of a hero to me. I stopped and looked at the painting and then showed it to my mom. She thought that same. Of course my mom is smarter than me and she looked at the back for information. Sure enough! It indeed was a depiction of our grandmother hiding in a cornfield to pray aloud so that the mob wouldn't punish her.

The salesperson knows the artist. According to her, this artist feels called to depict lesser-known pioneers and their stories. We told her that she clearly depicted this one because we recognized it. Then I purchased a smaller reproduction.

I now have the canvas stretched and am ready to frame it. Unfortunately the frame that I like costs >$200. At this point I think that I might try to make my own frame. What do you think- expensive olive wood frame professionally done -- or my imitation of the frame? Not sure which way to go, but I do want to put her in the office soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love that picture! I think you should make the frame, you are a woodworking master and it will mean even more. I can't wait to see what you decide to do, keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete