Sunday, August 14, 2011

So Glad to Have Friends!

Today I sang a solo in church. Really, a SOLO. This is certainly not something within my comfort zone (preparing for, and singing a solo is for Personal Progress). I was pretty petrified for several reasons. First, it was a solo. Also, I had a scratchy throat this morning and during practice didn't really hit the high notes. In addition, I sort of had to go to the bathroom (this is 3rd on the list because I think it was the nerves...) and I kept worrying that somehow I would forget the words or the order to sing them.

When it was time I walked up to the podium and felt a little like I was hyperventilating. I arrived before Cindy Zalar, the accompanist and stood for what seemed like a really long time. I saw Emily Evans and her family giving me the thumbs up with big smiles and that really helped.

Then the music began. The song, "Oh That I Were an Angel", is one loaded with fantastic memories. My mom has a beautiful voice and she sang it a lot when I was growing up. In fact, I often told her that this was the song I wanted her to sing at my mission farewell. Besides my mom singing it, I would sing it and add some of my own lyrics. Generally my lyrics were about sports. When I was a beehive the church had a big celebration and asked young women to make banners. I still have mine - and it still is just as cool as ever! (notice the fine details like the wings on the word angel)

Anyway, I digress. It turned out to be a really positive spiritual experience. As I sang most of my worries went away.  I saw people I really love looking up at me and every one of them had an encouraging look on their face. The fear was taken away. I realized that they would still be my friends and then I just sang. That is when I felt the Spirit share the message of the song. My ability to sing hadn't increased, but somehow I felt great about it.

I am so grateful for friends and the important role that they play in my life. I have been abundantly blessed with friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment