Monday, October 19, 2009

Work-Life Balance

I have often heard of the importance of the work-life balance. By that I understand that I am supposed to ensure that I don't become a workaholic and that I do indeed have a personal life that consists of more than just watching tv. In other words, I'm supposed to be good at both career and personal parts of my life. Also, I think that in part it means that I have some sort of separation between the two.

I'm not sure that I am great at this. I work at it and most of the time I am successful at not taking work home. I also enjoy a great working relationship with most of my colleagues. I work in a place that emphasizes the use of technology. My boss is a blogger and a tweeter. I do both, but not as actively as I probably should. The other day we were discussing his blog Mobile Home on Mainstreet (which I recommend) and I mentioned that I too am blogging. He asked for the url and I declined to give it to him. I'm not embarassed or terribly private about it- as you can observe by the public nature of my blog, but I didn't give it to him.

Should work life truly be separated from personal life? I've always had friends from work with whom I've socialized so I don't think that the lines must be stringently drawn. However, it is kind of nice to have some separation. So, Darah if you do get curious enough and find my blog you don't have to mention it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment