Saturday, December 19, 2009

Virginia Snow??

I woke up this morning to more than a foot of snow. It was fantastic! I have many fond memories of snow from my life in Nevada, Utah, and Colorado. I especially remember my 6th birthday the year we moved to Tooele. It snowed enough that we could make tunnels and snow caves. We even went snowmobiling with the Williams on England Avenue.

Some of these thoughts ran through my mind while I was out shoveling snow early this morning. There were also some fun things that I was reminded of:
  • how quiet falling snow makes everything seem
  • the thumpf sound when the snow thrown on top of the other snow becomes too much to bear and it all falls a couple inches
  • that it is hard to clearly see your neighbors through the falling snow even though they are only 70 yards away
  • snow builds up on your shoulders and occasionally slides off while you shovel
  • how great it feels to warm up as you get all the walks cleared and you even have to unzip your coat
This is what it looked like when I was done the first time. Clearly I'm the oddball who shoveled my walks (--ok part of them). My neighbors were inside enjoying a rest except for two kids. The two of them were having a great time for about 15 minutes. They realized that it is hard to walk in snow, it is cold, and you get wet. The same thing happened a while later when a dad came out with his 3 year old. The little boy didn't last long. The snow is too dry and loose for tunnels or caves, but I'm keeping hope alive.                                                                                                                  The snowplow came through and cleared the road about the time I finished, so it was pretty easy to leave once the time came. (see next post)



No comments:

Post a Comment